Oral BAC anglais : Espaces et échanges
SPACES AND EXCHANGES
The world is divided into different areas and spaces. Each space exchanges with each other. It exists different types of exchanges : economic exchange, human/social exchange, cultural exchanges …..
Humans are mooving to trendy’s spaces. Reportedly, nowadays, one of the trendiest space is USA as we can see with the brain drain.
In the rest of our oral we will study the case of Ireland. In fact, since the XIX th century this island has experimented crisis and boom, arrivals and departures.
Consequently, we are going to ask us what drive people to leave their country to go and live in another one ?
I) A difficult past :The situation of Ireland from 1845 to 1990
1) At the middle of the XIXth century, almost the entire population belongs to the peasantry and (the) potato is very important for the Irish economy because of exchanges with Britain and in order to feed the population. Nevertheless, as we saw in class with the text « a Brief history of Ireland » for many irish, potatoes were the most imporant food and in 1845 it happened a disaster struck : the potatoe blight. The disease destroyed much of the potato crop for the next few years. During the famine approximately 1 million people died and a million more emigrated from Ireland, causing the island’s population to fall by/ to plunge between 20% and 25%.
2)In fact, a lot of Irish emigrate to USA, Britain and Australia because of the high unemployement, the poverty was widespread, the lack of oportunity and famine. Consequently, it’s the beginnig of the Irish diaspora, the exodus of people in order to survive and find a job. In order to realize the american dream. In 1973 join the European Union. Nevertheless, fortunately, after this difficult period, Ireland is coming back as we will see.
II) The Boom between 1990 and 2007 the born of the celtic tiger
1) The economic growth of Ireland rocket during the ninetees . As we saw with the text from recession to the Boom : all was good : the unemployment rate dicrease from 15% to 4% almost full employment. The value of houses is going up too. Infrastuctures were constructed all over Ireland, property bubble. There was a lot of job opotunities. As they say in the text From recession to boom « ten years ago the average young irish person’s dream was to go to New York » And now the party in dublin seemsto have supplanted that dream.
2) The celtic Tiger is born ! In reference to the tigers in Asia to design states with an important economic growth. Thanks to tax breaks it helps buisnesses, society and also attracted foreign invesments. The center of dublin was such expensive that all around the city were constructed estates in order to accomodate emigrants and irish. In fact, there was a massmigration : return of Irish emigrants and arrival of foreign immigrants.
As we saw in the comic illustration from the text deah of a celtic tiger : Ireland who is « used to be a tiger » became a cat.
III) The Bust since 2008 the death of the celtic tiger
1) The subprime crisis in the USA in 2007 caused a global economic crisis wich strarted in 2008. Wall street ,The Irish stock exchange and europeans stocks plunged . As we saw in the document « From boom to bust » the unemployment started to soar from 4% in 2006 to 13% in 2010.
Reportedly, a lot of people were in negative equity ( the value of their property has fallen below the amount of money you owe the bank) and can’t pay back their loans and mortgages as we saw with Eoin.
2) Eventually, the celtic tiger became a cat nevertheless he did’nt die because of Ireland despite her economic dificulties still attracts big company as Apple. Besides, she possess an acknowledged culture with the group U2 and « Bloody Sunday » as we saw in class. Besides, it’s a touristic place ( may be not enough known) and the Tiger will certainly come back !
To conclude, we studied the hisotry of Ireland from the Great famine then the Boom and economic growth to the recent Bust in 2008. We can say that it’s mainly « principalement » the economy who drives people to leave a place and the posibility to work. We can broaden with the notion « The idea of progress »